[ExI] The Universe just got 10 times bigger!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:32:47 UTC 2014

Before we proceed, here are some of the estimations made by
astronomers related to the contents in the visible universe within 14
billion light-years of Earth:

Superclusters in the visible universe = 10 million
Galaxy groups in the visible universe = 25 billion
Large galaxies in the visible universe = 350 billion
Dwarf galaxies in the visible universe = 7 trillion
Stars in the visible universe = 30 billion trillion (3×10²²)

<http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/seven-trillion-dwarfs-and-billions-of-undetected-galaxies/>

Last year, the European Space Agency's Herschel Space Telescope
unleashed a new revelation: not-yet observed, distant galaxies are, in
fact, responsible for the 'cosmic fog' of infrared radiation seen on
the horizon of the 'observable universe.' Beyond that haze likely lies
millions -- perhaps even billions -- of uncharted galaxies. Most of
which, are some of the earliest galaxies produced post big bang.

In fact, there may be 90% more of these galaxies that haven't been
observed thus far using this technique. "If there are 10 galaxies
seen, there could be a hundred there, unseen" said Hayes. Such an
observation suggests that we have only begun unwrapping the majesty --
and the extent -- of our universe.

I doubt if I will be able to visit all these.........

BillK