[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Oct 16 01:38:08 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:16 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

For the time being, 23andMe is not allowed to give you the results of all those medical-info questionnaires people filled out.   What about Europe?  Do you know?  bill w

BillW, I don’t know that answer, but I think they are telling 23andMe to desist until further notice.  I don’t see how they could offer the results to Europeans because 23andMe would have no way of knowing where a given user is from.  They recieve a kit without a return address.  All they have is a test tube of spit with a number on it.  They look in their records and find an email @ associated with that number, since the user registered the kit while he or she was spitting in it.  23andMe still has no way of knowing the true identity of the person who spit into the tube or where that person lives.

You bring up an interesting point however.  23andMe has clients all over the world.  So they just need to move their operation offshore or anywhere where the government’s medical bureacracy is more interested in things like stopping ebola rather than interfering with a perfectly legitimate harmless crowd-sourced science project.