[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:42:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

> Here is my question:  are there companies in Europe like 23and me that will
> give out the medical info, or does the FDA rule there too?  bill w

Just found an article that tells you how to get genetic health
reports, bypassing the 23andMe restriction.

You can upload your DNA report to many small companies and get a
health report back. Though the quality varies and some seem to be
recommending alternative medicine practitioners.

It could be interesting for those who already have the 23andMe health
report to get an alternative from some of these websites and see how
they compare. There is still a lot of guesswork attached to estimating
health risks from DNA.

<http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/531461/how-a-wiki-is-keeping-direct-to-consumer-genetics-alive/>

BillK