[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 20 01:38:20 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:09 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>…We are told that any contact with any of the bodily fluids with an ebola-infected patient can spread infection, including sweat and blood, both of which are external to the ebola patient.  Apparently air exposure doesn’t kill the virus, at least not immediately.

>…Droplet size.  Sweat and blood are large enough.  Sneezes are not.

>…Why are you still belaboring your hypothetical point when the Snopes article I linked provided a thorough explanation of this?  Or do I need to quote that whole article verbatim in email to get you to read it?

Adrian, I read it.  I agree with their debunking the notion that the CDC admitted ebola can be airborne.  I know the CDC didn’t do that.  My claim is that we do not know for sure ebola cannot be spread to a person who does not physically touch the patient.  I don’t think we know that yet, and it defies my intuition that it is impossible.  I sure wouldn’t want to hang my life on a theoretical argument that sneeze droplets cannot support that virus for even a few seconds.  I would even agree the risk is low, but the consequences could be fatal.

Regarding Snopes, I would certainly not find them a credible source for this kind of information.  The article you cited is not making any strong statements.  They debunk the notion that we have proof that ebola is now airborne.  I know we have no proof of that.  I am not claiming to know anything of the kind

I have consulted three friends who are doctors, and all three thought the risk of airborne transmission is low but not zero.  How low is low?  Regarding this newly appointed Ebola Czar: his credibility is low too.  Couldn’t the government find a doctor for that position?  Or failing that, someone with a doctorate in epidemiology?  A master’s degree in public health?  Why would they pick someone who has no medical expertise for that job?  Doesn’t that in itself call into question the credibility of the US government’s response?  Why aren’t they stopping the flights from Liberia for starters?  A quarantine of a place known to have cases would surely be wise, ja?