[ExI] fourth amendment question

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:06:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
<snip>
> Not if no law enforcement officer contacts him about the investigation.
> Unless and until one does (or he contacts one about it), he is uninvolved,
> regardless of whether he has relevant evidence.

Yes, I think US law is different to UK law in many ways.
As you say, in the US if someone refuses to assist police enquiries
then there could be a charge of obstruction. But not if the police
don't contact them.

But there is still the moral question of whether not giving the
information voluntarily to the police is protecting a murderer or
rapist from being stopped from committing more crimes and harming
innocent people.

BillK