[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 27 19:38:56 UTC 2014

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
>>... I would phrase this as "AI will be incredibly dangerous if we do get
it right."...

>...The AI on the horizon looks more like Amazon Web Services--cheap,
reliable, industrial-grade digital smartness running behind everything, and
almost invisible except when it blinks off... We want our self-driving car
to be inhumanly focused on the road, not obsessing over an argument it had
with the garage...What we want instead of intelligence is artificial
smartness. Unlike general intelligence, smartness is focused, measurable,
specific.
-----------

BillK, I don't know if the following goes to your point, but it was
interesting.

My bride bought a camera yesterday and installed the software on her
computer.  It has a feature where you take a current photo of a person, and
tell it who it is.  Then it went thru the hard disc looking for photos.  It
did face-recognition, identifying and cataloging the photos we had already
taken.  It was about 90%-ish accurate.

Now that is wicked cool, but it has another fun parting shot: I have a bunch
of genealogy stuff on that hard disk.  Where the software was misidentifying
faces, most of the time it was an ancestor of the person it was looking for.

Oh WOW is this cool or what?