[ExI] Milky Way is on the outskirts of 'immeasurable heaven' supercluster

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:01:46 UTC 2014

This places the Milky Way in a vast network of neighbouring galaxies
or "supercluster" that forms a spectacular web of stars and planets
stretching across 520m light years of our local patch of universe.
Named Laniakea, meaning "immeasurable heaven" in Hawaiian, the
supercluster contains 100,000 large galaxies that together have the
mass of 100 million billion suns.

<http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/03/milky-way-laniakea-galaxy-supercluster-immeasurable-heaven>

100 million billion suns!  And that's just our supercluster.

It's a big universe out there.

BillK