[ExI] Immeasurable hubris

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:50:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Preventing young civilizations from messing up the garden is another one.
> I agree that killing everybody would be simplest, but not all utility
> functions favour it (for example, civilizations that try to maximize
> diversity). So the main prediction would be that activities that do not
> mess up the long-term state are entirely OK, but as soon as you try to
> build your universe-spamming von Neumann probe the "police" will show up.
> Which is an experimentally testable idea...

### What I had in mind is not necessarily killing the cute young puppy
civilizations, although a supermind dwelling in the darkness might see this
is as entirely unobjectionable. Hypervelocity objects striking all planets
bearing monocellular life, sufficient to boil the top layer of rock, once
every billion years, should do the trick bloodlessly by preventing life
from ever getting close to generating a civilization.

Maybe ours is just running late :)

Rafal