[ExI] The Future of Car Insurance

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Tue Sep 9 19:47:30 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 02:12 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Sorry for my recent silences. I've developed an addiction to food and
> shelter.
>
> I saw an advertisement yesterday that postulated that autonomous vehicles
> spell the end to the automobile insurance business as we know it. Sounds
> fairly plausible to me. Anyone have anything they would like to say on this
> subject? Are Allstate and Geico going the way of the wooden shoe makers?

I don't think we'll see the end of the industry. Autonomous vehicles
will still have glitches and make mistakes that cause them to be
involved in and, sometimes, the cause of, accidents. Those situations
will still necessitate the need for insurance. But we're definitely not
going to see the same huge industry we see now. There just won't be room
for everybody.

Anthony