[ExI] Searle's review of Bostrom's book

Bill Hibbard test at ssec.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:27:43 UTC 2014

Sure Tim.

Merriam-Webster defines "pose" as "to set forth
or offer for attention or consideration" so I
think it's OK to say:

   Computers that can run the entire world economy and
   provide constant companionship to all humans will
   pose great danger to humans.

This does not say these computers will harm humans,
only that we need to give the possibility some
attention or consideration.

I also have never said that humanity should
forego AI, only that there are dangers. Like
you seem to, I think the development of AI is
an imperative.

Here's an op-ed I submitted, unsuccessfully,
to the NY Times in August 2010, also in reaction
to suggestions that AI isn't a big threat:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/hibbard_oped_aug2010.html

Best wishes,
Bill