[ExI] Happy forthcoming Longevity Day!

Ilia Stambler ilia.stambler at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 18:52:44 UTC 2014

Dear friends,

There are just a few days until *October 1, the UN International Day of
Older Persons*, also recognized in some parts of the Longevity Advocacy
Community – as the *International Longevity Day*.

Concerted efforts on such dedicated days can be an extremely effective form
of advocacy for a cause. Consider for example the recent Avaaz Campaign for
Clean Energy that took place on September 21. The action involved marches
and other events in dozens of countries, in hundreds of communities, by
hundreds of thousands of participants, and millions signing the petition.
We can be sure that thanks to such actions the issue of Clean Energy will
receive a greater emphasis with the wide public and policy makers.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/climate_march_reportback/?bvRbqdb&v=46379

This can also be an example for the Longevity Movement. We are yet very far
from such scope of activity, but we may aspire to it, in order to make
healthy longevity for all a real public and political priority around the
world. October 1 can be an exercise in such concerted action.

Last year, events on or around that day were held by longevity researchers
and activists in more than 30 countries. This year, the activities seem to
have subsided. Yet the tradition is maintained, hopefully we will pick up
in the next year and many years to come!

Here is a report about the current events and the ones that were organized
last year. Some events just coincided with that time, but some were
purposefully initiated to celebrate the Longevity Day! Altogether they
emphasize the importance of aging and longevity research for the well being
and longevity of Older Persons.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/72013-promoting-longevity-research-on-october-1-–-the-international-day-of-older-persons/

There is still some time to produce some publications or posts, or gather
with a few friends live or online to celebrate the occasion! If you are
organizing some event, please announce. Would also be grateful if you
please send me some descriptions and pictures of the events – so I could
produce a nice global report. Some small prizes may also be possible.

Besides meetings and publications, other kinds of activities are possible.
For example, the fundraising campaign by Fight Aging on behalf of SENS
Research Foundation is also scheduled to start on October 1. This can be
combined with other events, for example distributing the campaign’s flyers
at a local meeting.

https://www.fightaging.org/fund-research/

In our community we are organizing a small seminar on the social
implications of extended longevity.

http://www.bioaging.org.il/international-day-of-older-persons-october-1-bar-ilan/

I personally also scheduled the publication of my new book on the history
of longevity research, entitled “A History of Life-Extensionism in the
Twentieth Century” toward this time (thankful for any feedback).
Proceedings from sales of this book will go to support longevity activism,
especially local activism of the kind that will hopefully take place on
October 1.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Life-Extensionism-Twentieth-Century/dp/1500818577/

Looking forward to many more events supporting Longevity Research on and
around October 1 – the International Day of Older Persons – and afterwards
throughout the year!

Yours,

Ilia Stambler

--

Ilia Stambler, PhD

Chair. Israeli Longevity Alliance. www.bioaging.org.il

Coordinator. Longevity for All. www.longevityforall.org

Author. Longevity History. *A History of Life-Extensionism in the Twentieth
Century*. www.longevityhistory.com

Email: ilia.stambler at gmail.com

Tel: 972-3-961-4296

Rishon Lezion. Israel