[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed?

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 22:15:03 UTC 2014

On Monday, September 29, 2014 10:02 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is similarity between the Wright Brothers and AI.
>
> They knew that heavier than air objects could fly because
> they could observe birds, bats and insects.
>
> Likewise, AI people observe what we call intelligence in humans and to some extent in animals.
>
> If we can duplicate human brain circuits, there is no reason not to expect intelligence to emerge.
>
> That may not be the best way, just as flapping wings was
> not the best way for humans to achieve flight.

It's a good analogy as far as it goes. The anti-AI crowd can, of course, offer that intelligence is nothing like flight in terms of how it's achieved in a living thing. I'm not saying I buy that attack on the analogy, but it might show why the analogy is not as persuasive across the board. After all, analogies succeed based on whether people agree the things compared being similar enough.

By the way, huge discussion of the topic on LeftLibertarian 2 for those interested. The group's archives are at:

Regards,

Dan
 My latest Kindle book, "Born With Teeth," can be previewed at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N72FBA2