[ExI] Input for article on "The Extropian Roots of Bitcoin"

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 30 15:00:22 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] Input for article on "The Extropian Roots of Bitcoin"

>…The Extropy archives will indeed be a goldmine for future historians. And Eliezer was correct that the Internet is forever and we ought be careful what we post. When he was a teenager in Chicagoland and about to be kicked out of the nest by his parents, he posted some heartfelt, desperate pleadings. From his current perspective in Silicon Valley, hobnobbing with Peter Theil and ruling the roost at MIRI, those old postings might seem embarassing. But we ALL have similarly embarassing postings in our pasts. So let's each and all be charitable to one another.  Best, Mike LaTorra

Ja.  Those comments were a result of Eliezer’s earliest posts on a forum dedicated to how much they hated Barney, a TV character from the early 1990s.  Eliezer’s younger brother was a big fan, which annoyed his 12 yr old brother.  As I recall the forum was called “Purple Dinosaur, die die die!”  He had posted on there under his full name, and lamented there is no way to go back and erase any of that.  {8^D  I told him Don’t worry about it pal, you were twelve.  Most of us did embarrassing stuff back then.  Some of us are still doing embarrassing stuff now.

It does bring up some interesting points about how the internet changes the nature of information.  College, wild party, pictures show up with you passed out on the floor naked with your head in a waste basket, as an Epic Fail poster.  It goes viral.  Someone posts, HEY that’s old Festrina Carbuncle.  I was at that party, it was a hoot.  Har har funny, but now any time Festrina tries to climb the corporate ladder or run for public office, this epic fail picture shows up with every internet search.