[ExI] Input for article on "The Extropian Roots of Bitcoin"

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 30 23:03:40 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
…

>…You're trying to remember the newsgroup entitled alt.dinosaur.barney.die.die.die (you do remember news groups, right? LOL)…

I do!  We had some good math groups back in the old days, late 80s.  We had dial-up modems.  I heard that distinctive dial-up modem sound just yesterday.  I thought NO WAY, you gotta be KIDDING, someone still has one of those?  I looked around and found some joker had set that sound as his ringtone.  {8^D

That gave me an entertaining idea.  I was at the doctor’s office (yearly check-up) when I heard the dial-up modem.  The young nurse taking my vitals didn’t recognize the sound.  I couldn’t easily go outside the exam room just then, being as my backside was open to the breeze.  It occurred to me that those in their early 20s might not recognize the old familiar dial tone or the ank ank ank sound of a busy signal.  We could have some fun with that.   {8^D