[ExI] addiction

Nuala Thomson nuala.t at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:57:58 UTC 2015

I agree punishment is the worst form of behaviour control for drug users, for all the reasons you said and more.
IF punishment is going to be used then there should also be forced rehab style treatments.
However nothing will work unless the person actually wants to stop using drugs altogether. And convincing someone that drug use is ruining their lives is one of the hardest things to accomplish, especially when most, if not all, drug abusers are in denial.

Is it Iceland that offers a lot of treatment centres, and as a result has had drug use, and violence associated with drugs declining?

I'm a recovering addict, and I would simply tell kids my story (also happy to share here if you're interested).
I knew all the bad and possible lethal side effects of everything I put in my body to the extent of a couple hours of research, and I did it all anyway because of the feeling I would get.
It was mostly about escapism.

Now the trend of drugs more powerful than alcohol.. If this trend continues (which is pretty much guaranteed), it really depends on what comes out. Everyone has a preference to what they want to feel.
People who drink a lot also tend to smoke more weed, and take more Valium/Xanax, etc, than people who like amphetamines (ecstasy, speed, methamphetamine, etc).
So with the trend continuing and no change in how to deal with it, I would expect crime and weekend violence (particularly in Australia) to increase exponentially.

I feel the rest of the world should follow Iceland in the management and treatment of drug addiction.

Your plan of referring people to a treatment centre paid in part instead of punishment is the most desirable idea, but will still only work if the person wants to stop using, or has realised they have a problem and doesn't know what to do.

Nuala