[ExI] [tt] Identity thread again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:57:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015  Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I don't know about your copies, but my copy, after looking up its
> location and determining it is a copy created to accomplish a goal, would
> self-destruct in accordance with the decision that I, a mind identical to
> it, made before being copying.

You think the other guy should slave away to accomplish some task and then
kill himself, but if the other guy's mind is identical to yours then he
thinks exactly the same thing and obviously that could lead to conflict.
Science can find no difference between the original and the copy but
whenever thought experiments of this sort come up people ALWAYS put
themselves in the place of the original. ALWAYS. Just once as a mental
exercise try putting yourself in the position of the copy. Would you even
believe me if I told you that you were the copy? Even if you did believe me
would you happily jump into a volcano if the original told you to? Why
doesn't the original jump into the volcano, the two of you are identical so
what makes him better than you?

  John K Clark