[ExI] The downsides of high IQ

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 05:00:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com> wrote:

> Well, then the reverse would be true for Republicans. Higher IQ still
> would not necessarily translate into better policies. And perhaps it goes
> for Presidents too. I’ve heard, though I don’t know if it’s true, that
> Nixon and Carter had among the highest IQs of all Presidents...

### Far from being a Republican myself (really far), I have to note that
their policies are overall better than Democratic ones. With an IQ
difference of 3 we should expect a small difference in quality of ideas,
and this is indeed what I see: After sifting the chaff of fringe issues,
and even after accounting for their slightly higher appetite for wars of
many kinds, Republicans reasonably consistently are on the less stupid side
of most important issues. I still would not vote Republican but their
policies are evidence that increased intelligence offers some protection
against making stupid errors.

Rafał