[ExI] suicide pilots

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:24:37 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I hope we can hack into drones when they are used against us, as they
>> inevitably will be.

A simpler solution for defense is to jam the signal, and hope the drone
doesn't have enough onboard AI to finish the mission.  It may be able to
autopilot without signal, but shooting it down should be simpler.  (At
least until there's good enough AI that it almost doesn't need a human
controller.)

> If the military can have a secure system for , say, satellites, why can't
>> the airlines?  Will we never have a secure system of anything?  Is that our
>> future?​

The military has bigger budgets and a general environment predisposed
toward security rather than convenience and cheapness.  "Make as much money
as you can" as a primary mission means not implementing levels of security
in excess of what would be profitable.