[ExI] Wow!

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 00:03:09 UTC 2015

Thank you all for your emails!

The press release is already written but I do not know when our partners
would release it. It will be rather circumspect, the competitors never
sleep. My company is Gencia in Charlottesville, VA, the other is a large
but not huge pharma company.

What we have is a broadly applicable set of design principles and a number
of specific ideas. We know we have compounds with very powerful
anti-inflammatory properties, and the conditions where they are likely to
be effective are legion - from COPD, to psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis,
asthma, radiation injury, inflammatory bowel disease. Basically, whatever
has an inflammatory component is likely to at least partially respond to
our compounds. And all our assays, in vivo and in vitro, point to a very
favorable safety profile. I left some very vague hints about these
compounds in my SENS6 presentation.

Aging itself is not really a focus of the planned development efforts,
although I would not be surprised if the compounds had an overall
beneficial effect on some aspects of age-related dysfunction, based on the
idea that mitochondrial suppression is an evolved, maladaptive response to
the presence of biochemical stress signals (DAMPs). As they say, "More
Research Is Needed (TM)". Of course, there is a lot more to aging than
mitochondrial suppression, but this process clearly plays an important role.

One thing that I am very excited about is that if everything goes well, my
company will have the resources to participate in new ways of doing
science. We see ourselves as an idea company - so far we do not have plans
for a large buildup as a conventional pharma or biotech company. We would
like to stay small and to generate new insights, rather than bring products
to market on our own. I am sure that AI will have a transformative effect
on bioscience. Soon it will be possible to use machine learning techniques
to gain superior understanding of biochemistry and physiology. I want to
make AI techniques an integral part of Gencia's approach to invention.

The next 10 years will be very interesting.

Rafał