[ExI] Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:51:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> John Smart proposes the
> ​ ​
> fascinating “transcension hypothesis” theorizing that evolutionary
> ​ ​
> processes in our universe might lead all advanced civilizations
> ​ ​
> towards the same ultimate destination; one in which we transcend out
> ​ ​
> of our current space-time dimension into virtual worlds of our own
> ​ ​
> design.

​But it takes calculations to produce virtual reality ​and it takes energy
to perform calculations, the faster the calculation the more energy needed;
and yet we observe astronomical amounts of energy radiating uselessly into
infinite space not just from our galaxy but from every one of the billions
of galaxies ever observed.  Of course there are trillions of galaxies more
distant than 13.8 billion light years that we have never observed and will
never observe so maybe ET is in one of them, or maybe not. I'd bet 2 to 1
that we're alone.

  John K Clark