[ExI] Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Aug 29 17:43:34 UTC 2015

>... On Behalf Of Keith Henson

>...Spike, it's a thin shell, hundred years thick more or less.  It's going
to fall to the noise level before it gets far.

In 1974, SETI transmitted intentional interpretable signals at a frequency
which makes this humble planet the brightest object in the galaxy at that
frequency.  If there is anyone out there watching, they know of us.  If
there is some kind of prime directive, it seems they would have told us by
now.  The 1974 signal was directional, but there have been occasional other
widely-distributed signals.

>...Being the first is perhaps the best situation.  That makes our future
unknown instead of vanishing for some reason.  If technological lifeforms
are common, then *something* gets all of them...Keith

Ja, not only that, something gets all of them *quickly.*  By that model,
ours would need to be an uncharacteristically long-lived technologically
enabled species.  Does *every* other tech-species nuke itself as soon as it
figures out how to make plutonium?  All of them?  Are we violent apes really
the most peaceful species ever to reach nuclear fission?

Keith you see why this subject makes me squirm.