[ExI] Cramer on impossibility of FTL communication

scerir at alice.it scerir at alice.it
Sun Aug 30 08:19:57 UTC 2015

An Inquiry into the Possibility of Nonlocal Quantum Communication

Authors:
John G. Cramer,  Nick Herbert

http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.5098
Abstract:
The possibility of nonlocal quantum
communication is considered. We investigate three gedankenexperiments
that have
variable entanglement: (1) a 4-detector polarization-entangled system, (2) a 4-
detector
path-entangled system, and (3) a 3-detector path-entangled system
that uses an innovative optical mixer
to combine photon paths.
A new quantum
paradox is reviewed in which the presence or absence of an interference pattern
in
a path-entangled two photon system, controlled by measurement choice, is a
potential nonlocal signal.
We show that for the cases considered, even when
interference patterns can be switched off and on,
there is always a "signal"
interference pattern and an "anti-signal" interference pattern that mask
any
observable interference when they are added, even when entanglement and
coherence are
simultaneously present. This behavior can be attributed to what
in the literature has been called
"the complementarity of one-particle and two-
particle interference".

Important papers about "the complementarity of one-
particle and two-particle interference" are:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0112065
http://physics.gmu.edu/~rubinp/courses/123/superpositionprinciple.pdf
That is
to say it seems not possible to use quantum entanglement (i.e. two-photon

position/momentum quantum entanglement) to create (or not) interference
patterns
on a screen (or whatever) at a distance.

Of course we know there are
theorems (i.e. by Ghirardi, etc.) showing we cannot use
quantum entanglements
for FTL communication. But we also know that theorems
sometimes are circular.
It is possible that formalisms used in this theorems
(i.e. tensor product)
already do not allow FTL communication (as pointed out by
Kennedy)

http://philpapers.org/rec/KENOTE