[ExI] bees

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 3 08:59:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-03 05:49, spike wrote:
> Now of course I start thinking of ways to measure how bees are
> feeling.  Perhaps they fly a little differently when well-fed and
> fully healthy.  We could raise some in isolation and feed them all the
> best pollen, try to create a control group.  Then make some kind of
> optical measurement device, a camera which measures flight speed,
> oscillation rates, hover times, and anything else we can figure out
> how to reduce to a matrix of data using optical data.  Then we compare
> to domestic bees and wild bees.

Clearly there must be some behavioural signs you are picking up, if you
are not imagining it. I can imagine taking a bundle of data of perky and
tired bees and using machine learning to categorize them - but that
requires having samples of the kinds. One could also do clustering of
their behaviour and see if there are clusters that look suspicious - but
again, if all the bees in the back yard are tired this will not show much.

I don't have a good feeling for the Bay Area ecosystem, but it always
struck me as having unusually few insects around. I was so happy seeing
that moth larva with you and the kid last time I was over.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute