[ExI] Man’s Greatest Achievement – Nikola Tesla on Akashic engineering and the future of humanity

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 3 09:24:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-03 07:30, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Man's "triumph over the physical world, his crowning achievement which
> would place him beside his Creator and fulfill his ultimate destiny"
> is spiritual meaning: our descendants will use science and technology
> to do anything they will dream of, including God-like achievements.
>
> Tesla's words here and elsewhere are "scientific poetry" meant to
> inspire and energize.
True. As someone who hangs out with philosophers too much, I however
wonder why triumphing over the physical world (1) places humanity beside
the creator, and (2) is ultimate destiny.

I think it really comes down to the issue of meaning of life. Now, the
comist approach to that is generally a Baconian "effecting all things
possible", but *why* this is meaningful is tricky. Fedorov and others
saw it as doing God's work, fulfilling a plan set by the Creator. I have
a hard time seeing how a plan made by an ever so great being actually
produces meaning. One can also use an Aristotelian virtue view, where
taking charge and transforming the universe well would mean the
fulfilment of (post)human excellence. That I can buy a bit more easily.

 From my own more consequentialist view, transforming the universe is
just good for its inhabitants - they will be more, happier and have more
value. But that is just maximzing value, not anything to do with (1) or
(2).

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute