[ExI] virgin to use 747

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 4 18:18:15 UTC 2015

I have long calculated a retired 747 would be a good launch platform to use
as a first stage: they can be obtained at a reasonable price, they have a
lot of reliability data, experienced pilots, you can remove a lot of weight
from all those seats and passenger-comfort equipment, they have a sturdy
backbone, forgiving aerodynamics (I am still astonished that a 747 could
haul a space shuttle on its back) and it has the four-engine advantage.
Makes sense that Branson would have one:

http://www.virgingalactic.com/press/virgin-galactic-welcomes-cosmic-girl-to-
fleet-of-space-access-vehicles/

10 million for 200 kg to GEO or 400kg to LEO is a lower price than competing
systems.