[ExI] robot rides bicycle

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Dec 9 17:29:52 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:50 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] robot rides bicycle

>…Thanks Spike that is cool! That's the first time I've seen something like that; we've seen computers do stuff that we find difficult, like solving calculus problems…

Me too!  In principal, a control system for doing this is easy enough to imagine, hard to do: with a bicycle when you start to fall one way, you turn into that direction.  We know how to do critical damping with control systems.  We know how to do lead-lag compensation, etc.  This is the first time I have seen it done with a bicycle.  You know there will soon be robot unicycle riders, and of course the perfectly logical next step is racing them.  Cool!

As I think about it, robot bicycle racin makes more sense than robot motorcycles: the initial cost is much lower, the consequences of a crash are much less.  If we set up a serpentine course, it emphasizes software and racing strategy rather than raw power.

Internal combustion is already a mature technology: even motorsport enthusiasts such as Your Humble Moderator find it dull after a while.  Racing (all areas) is a sport classification in desperate need of innovative ideas.

You know the proles will pay good money to watch robots racing bicycles.  Ooooh the money to be made here, just thinking about it makes my butt hurt.  It’s a good hurt.  Now is a fun time to be living.

spike

, for decades but finding a robot that is good at something we find easy, like riding a bike, is much rarer.  Or at least it used to be rare but the times they are a changin.

 John K Clark