[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Michael Butler butler.two.one at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:51:20 UTC 2015

On Dec 10, 2015 8:32 AM, "Will Steinberg" <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really care about whether the telescope gets built or not. ....
But I mean, we really ought to build that telescope.  Actually, hell, build
it on the mountain.   But don't discount the VALUE of ancient beliefs, even
if they should maybe get ignored once in a while.

Will, and thread participants at large:

I think it's very possible that the religion story here is a fig leaf for a
big (actually quite small) "fuck you".

And you know what? That is PERFECTLY FINE with me, because the specific
terrestrial location of a specific scientific instrument of this type
almost certainly DOES NOT MATTER if science is, well... what it claims to
be and what I think IT is.

Butthurt about losing this court battle? After a certain point, it's
indistinguishable to me from whining.

"Let the wookiee win."

Sure, if you're defending scientific culture and are worried about
idiocracy and the possibility that the wookies ARE WINNING, then (re)act.

But really, culturally, I think this is small potatoes and I admit I LIKE
it when colonial expropriators get one in the eye occasionally. It's an
underdog thing. Doubtless a slight flaw in my character.

Wharrgarrrbling about this specific instance? I have used up all the time I
have budgeted for the next century on it.

Cheers.

MMB