[ExI] Property rights to the summit/was Re: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 02:40:19 UTC 2015

On Dec 11, 2015, at 5:03 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't really care about whether the telescope gets built or not.  But I do think the psychically significant and powerful nature of a sacred space provides a lot of insight into the universe...maybe not in the same way as a telescope.  The point is that the cthonic nature of the sacred space means it cannot be moved.  It derives its power from its long-standing location.
>
> ### I do care that the telescope gets built. I do care about property rights, too. Do the chthonic believers have ownership in fee simple? If not, it's none of their business what the owners of the place use it for.
>
> If you want to protect what is sacred to you, buy it. Otherwise, get lost.

The issue should turn whether they have a just claim to the area. (That might not be all that easy in practice, of course.) If they do, then it would be unjust to say they had to pay to get back what's theirs. If they don't, then the issue falls away.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst