[ExI] Fail to the chief?/was Re: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Wed Dec 16 16:07:02 UTC 2015

One of the few serious alternatives to democracy that I’ve considered might work is a system of Representative Consensus. A council of twelve, rather like a jury, is chosen by random selection from the pool of eligible citizens, and they perform as the Executive, discussing decisions and coming to a conclusion by consensus. In rare cases where consensus could not be reached, the entire council would be re-drawn. (So it would be like the Ultimate Game, in that those groups who could not reach a compromise would be punished.)

This still would work best if power were devolved as much as possible, on as many issues as possible, to the most localized form of governance possible. (Federation should be a real thing, not just of states but of counties within states and cities within counties).

Tara Maya
Blog <http://taramayastales.blogspot.com/>  |  Twitter <https://twitter.com/taramayastales>  |  Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Unfinished-Song-Epic-Fantasy/310271375658211?ref=hl>  |  Amazon <http://www.amazon.com/Tara-Maya/e/B004HAI038/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1349796143&sr=8-2-ent>  |  Goodreads <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2951879.Tara_Maya>