[ExI] Bee Watch

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:37:26 UTC 2015

On Dec 16, 2015, at 8:11 AM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> Ja it is a good start.  Of all the bee yards I have seen, at least several
>> dozen, I don't recall any of them having plug power.  But electronic
>> equipment takes wall power and transforms it down to sip just a tiny amount
>> of energy.  My notion is that we can use a car battery and a low end cell
>> phone.  I can imagine using the camera and processor in the phone and do
>> low-end stuff, such as count of arrivals vs exits, or activity around a
>> known pollen source and so forth.
>
> I think something like solar/battery-powered wifi-connected cameras that talk to a solar/battery-powered GSM-connected base station would be the way to go. I've got a security camera system (Arlo) that uses battery-powered cameras and a security system (SimpliSafe) that uses battery-powered wifi-connect sensors to talk to a GSM-connected base station, so many of the components needed are already on the shelf.

Does every last give even need to be watched? Wouldn't a good small randomized sample tell us much for a given area? That might bring the cost down, especially if, say, only 2% of hives in a region can tell us about the overall status of all the hives in the same area. (Ditto for monitoring other species.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst