[ExI] Fail to the chief?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:54:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 8:07 AM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com> wrote:
>
> One of the few serious alternatives to democracy that I’ve considered
> might work is a system of Representative Consensus. A council of twelve,
> rather like a jury, is chosen by random selection from the pool of eligible
> citizens, and they perform as the Executive, discussing decisions and
> coming to a conclusion by consensus. In rare cases where consensus could
> not be reached, the entire council would be re-drawn. (So it would be like
> the Ultimate Game, in that those groups who could not reach a compromise
> would be punished.)
>
> How about public consensus to break ties?

I've read about sortition before, and it sounds like it might fix some
> problems, such as influence peddling. See:
>
> https://www.independent.org/pdf/tir/tir_03_2_knag.pdf

This passage from that paper gives me an idea:

"The earnest voter might be pardoned for feeling, during the throes of a
presidential campaign, that the best outcome would be for the two
candidates to stop their electioneering, engage in a manly duel, and shoot
each other dead."

What if we keep the current system, but any candidate running for president
faces a coin toss for life/death if they lose? :-)

-Dave