[ExI] space-x sticks the landing

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 22 17:02:01 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: [ExI] space-x sticks the landing

On Dec 22, 2015, at 7:47 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

>>…  It makes sense to do it that way, so if the thrusters or anything else fails during the landing sequence, the bird overshoots the landing site and drops into the sea rather than some litigious prole’s back yard.

>…Wouldn't there be some fuel savings by having it land east of the launch side?

Ja, it is a compromise.  But I like the notion of launching and landing at the same site, as SpaceX does.  This has some big advantages, with savings in processing and recovery.  Their launch profile is almost straight vertical.  Then once above the thick air, the next stage turns east, the first stage comes almost straight back down.  That profile is less efficient but has compelling compensating advantages.

It could be we have been in a paradigm trap for a long time.  We maximize payload capacity at the expense of cost per pound to orbit.

>>…As for deceleration, the atmosphere does most of the work for us.  For the very first time in launcher history, air is our friend.

True!

Regards,

Dan

SpaceX’s success has my wheels turning.  I can imagine various re-entry strategies where you would sacrifice the front end of the first stage for the deceleration phase, then turn sideways once you get below about Mach2, then turn nozzle first when the speed reduces to where it can survive the aero-load.

In order to gain the support of senators and representatives, NASA had to do the space program in a grossly inefficient way by intentionally spreading the work over many states.  SpaceX can locate its factories, its first stage recovery team and everything it needs right down there on Cape Canaveral.  It can house its workers in Titusville, which has become a really low-cost place to live, now that the shuttle program has ended.  It has so much going for it.  This is so cool!