[ExI] space-x sticks the landing

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 19:32:47 UTC 2015

On Dec 23, 2015, at 10:41 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan
>

> >…Though it was the way rockets were depicting as landing for a long time in SF, no?
>
> Dan are you old enough to remember the old Rod Rocket cartoons?

No, but thanks for sharing. I'm definitely passing that along. ;)

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACz3TTTp_To
>
> That was my first exposure to the notion of a tail-first lander.  Rod and his friend Joey fly the Argonaut around the solar system, occasionally battling the Rod Rocket counterparts of Boris and Natasha from the Bullwinkle show, a couple of commie cosmonauts who were the ambiguous bad guys.
>
> If you view the video, keep in mind these were made in 1963, by a couple of non-scientists.  But it kept my 3-yr-old attention.

My first time seeing this cartoon, but I've seen plenty of old SF films -- 'Destination Moon,' for example -- where the rockets land tail first. I was watching some Twilight Zone episodes recently with that in it. I think some of them were simply running test ticket flight stock footage backward to get the effect.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst