[ExI] Jupiter Brain rethink?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Dec 28 20:04:06 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-28 15:23, BillK wrote:
> The big problem with Jupiter Brains is heat dissipation from the
> processing. Using photons instead of electrons might solve most of
> that problem.

Nope :-) While photonics probably avoids a lot of the dissipation of
electron movement, the fundamental limits I used in my paper are
implementation-independent (if you erase information you have to pay a
thermodynamic cost of kTln(2)). A version even applies to quantum
computation, which is naturally reversible (but when you set up quantum
states or perform measurements dissipation happens).

Still, the Nature paper is nice. I liked how they made something that
was compatible with existing manufacturing and software, rather than
requiring an entirely new toolset. We can likely make our computing
better this way.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute