[ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans:

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 05:07:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 4:00 AM,   "Flexman, Connor"
<connor_flexman at brown.edu> wrote:

snip

> Just because our subjective time speeds up doesn't seem to imply a lack of
> desire to optimize the cosmos for utils.

I am not sure from what you write if you have your head around the subject.

Consider it from the viewpoint of a person who is alive today and
lives to a singularity event or is revived from cryonic suspension
into a fast simulation.  It looks possible to do a million to one
speedup, so as a first pass guess, assume that.

What has happened from their view point is that all the distances have
increased, by a million times.  Even the speed of light is slow, "A
million-to-one speed up would impose a subjective round-trip delay of
three days from one side of the earth to the other. Subjective round
trip delay to the moon would be two months."

http://web.archive.org/web/20121130232045/http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/04/12/transhumanism-and-the-human-expansion-into-space-a-conflict-with-physics/

If the population moves into a fast simulated environment, the
subjective time to get to the stars becomes even more ridiculous than
it is now.  It's a local version of inflation.  A single calendar year
becomes a million years subjective.

A million years isn't a lot in geological time, but civilization is
less than 10,000 years old so this is 100 times that span.

I once explained this to someone who was nothing short of horrified.
(On the other hand, he had a cell phone.)  I told him that he could
have the job of watching the blinken blinken lights and if they quit
blinking, he was to push the reset button and restart uploaded
civilization from the last check point.

I am prompted to think about this as a non fatal reason we don't see
any aliens or their works.

Keith

 It seems many of us would gladly