[ExI] Fwd: Paper on "Detecting Qualia" presentation at 2015 MTA conference

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun Feb 1 23:11:51 UTC 2015

Hi John,

On 1/31/2015 5:51 PM, John Clark wrote:
 > But at the end of the day the really important question isn't the
nature of REDNESS or GREENNESS  it's the question I asked in my last
post that you didn't answer, do you believe as I do that consciousness
is fundamental?
 >   John K Clark

I think there is elemental fundamental stuff in nature, and that this
behaves in fundamental ways.  We call this the laws of nature. For
example, we know that mass, because of gravity, attracts other mass.  We
don't know why it does, just that it does.  And this knowledge enables
us to dance in the heavens.

This theory also predicts that this elemental fundamental stuff, in
addition to behaving according to these laws, also has fundamental
qualities, like redness.  It predicts that particular qualities are one
and the same as particular behaviors.  The prediction is that nature
builds our composite consciousness out of these elemental qualities.  In
the 3 color world, the scientists don't know why glutamate has a redness
quality, just that it does.

And the prediction is that we will be able to detect these qualities,
but only if the zombie information we use to detect them is interpreted
correctly.  And once we can do this, in addition to dancing in the
heavens, we will be able to significantly expand our visual knowledge of
visible light, from having 2, 3, or 4 primary colors, to representing it
with hundreds or more.

On 1/31/2015 5:51 PM, John Clark wrote:
> I don't think there would be any difference subjectively or
> objectively between somebody who saw everything in black and white and
> somebody who saw everything in black and red.

Oh, this is great.  I think, then, we completely agree on everything.
Obviously, there is some difference between this white and red,
otherwise this would be a meaningless sentence to you and I.  And, I
completely agree that, behaviorally, and intelligently, at least, both
zombie knowledge and inverted knowledge, can all act the same, and be
just as intelligent.  And I agree that, like Dennet does, you can choose
to only focus on this behavior, and ignore (or 'quine' as Dan likes to
call it instead of ignore) qualia.

Everything behaves the same, at least until you ask them: "What is red
like for you".  In order to know the difference, you need to be able to
compare the two elemental qualities in the same binding mechanism /
consciousness.  And instead of quining qualia, as you are, we are
focusing on qualia and making testable scientific descriptions about
what does and does not have qualia, which can be experimentally proven
to all, to be right.

You must admit, that when we first throw the switch, and you for the
first time experience a new blue, and from then on your knowledge of
visible light is much more diverse and phenomenal, it will be quite
convincing of which theory is right?

Brent