[ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans

Claus Bornich clausb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:19:14 UTC 2015

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 Keith Henson wrote:

>It looks possible to do a million to one speedup,
>so as a first pass guess, assume that.

<snip>

> If the population moves into a fast simulated environment, the
> subjective time to get to the stars becomes even more ridiculous than
> it is now.  It's a local version of inflation.  A single calendar year
> becomes a million years subjective.

Very nicely put. I would imagine the solution (then as now) is to send of
copies of yourself that will awaken on arrival. By the time you arrive your
civilization will no longer be one that you recognise (if it even exists),
but then again you would likely not be able to communicate with it at such
distances anyway except with one-way messages.

Why go? Well, why not assuming you have the resources. That is a big
assumption of course, but then again a fast thinker society might not have
time to burn a significant amount of resources. By going you are
effectively creating a backup - in fact why not take a snapshot of the
entire civilization and send out copies at various stages (its not like you
really need to worry about their return as that will be billions of years
in your subjective future). Aside from simple survival, there is the urge
to explore and seek new knowledge outside the system.

One of the better hard SF books on these subject is from Greg Egan's
Diaspora (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/156785.Diaspora). Without a
doubt the most ambitiously epic story I have read in scope of time and
civilization and one of the most beautiful accounts of the "birth" of an
artificial intelligence.

Claus