[ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans:

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 3 03:01:32 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 5:20 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans:

On Saturday, January 31, 2015, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

>>… And after you turn it a little bit and see how much better you feel why not turn it again, perhaps a little more this time… John

>…You could always turn the knob that makes you seek out hard work and good deeds and makes you avoid the mindless happiness knob. Having said that, however, I can think of worse things that eternal bliss.  Stathis Papaioannou

All of Religion Inc, every brand and every variation, is all about eternal bliss.  As far as I know, none of it carries any notion of long-term actually accomplishing anything.  It is all about making sure the flock keeps dropping money into the offering plate in exchange for assurances they will achieve the eternal bliss.

I am reluctant to admit it, but this supports John’s notion of stagnation being universal as soon as any intelligent species achieves eternal bliss.

Gaaaaahd Daaaaaaam!  {8-[

Hey, there’s an idea: invent a religion with a couple of cool variations on the usual tired old theme.  In this one, you aren’t required to believe in it.  Belief isn’t an inherent virtue; only actual virtue is an inherent virtue.  Imagine that.   Second, the eternal bliss isn’t perfect and it is not perfectly pointless: there is work to be done and things to build.