[ExI] Zombie glutamate

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sat Feb 14 12:36:17 UTC 2015

Hi Stuart,

I would normally point a person to the "Detecting Qualia" paper to
answer this question:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vxfbgfm8XIqkmC5Vus7wBb982JMOA8XMrTZQ4smkiyI/edit

But then, if you know as much as you know, you must have already read
the paper?

I don't know if I've used the exact term "Zombie Glutamate", so someone
else must have used this for the first time, after reading and
understanding the paper.  Did you hear this term from someone else, or
are you the first to think of or use it?  It's a good term.  It makes me
happy that people are starting to understand things to this level to be
able to use this terminology in new and powerful ways like this.

The answer to this is described in the "Intrinsic Qualia verses
Representations of Qualia" section of the paper.

The testable prediction is that something in physics is responsible for
a qualitative property of our conscious knowledge, like the taste of
salt or the color red.  The falsifiable prediction is that it could be
something like the neurotransmitter glutamate that has the intrinsic
redness color we can experience.

All of our physical senses and scientific instruments that detect
qualia, produce representations of glutamate, that are only like
glutamate, in that they can be interpreted as if they were glutamate.
In the same way, we have knowledge of glutamate.  But glutamate, in it's
crystalline form, reflects white light, so we represent it with
knowledge that has a whiteness quality.  Or worse, we represent it as
something that has no quality at all.  Both of which could miss
interpretations of the real redness quality of glutamate.  (Or whatever
is responsible for a real redness quality.)

The bottom line is, the testable theoretical prediction is that all
physical science done today, is qualitatively naieve zombie physical
science, simply because we don't know how to interpret the zombie
information we have about such things as glutamate.  Both zombie
information and qualitative information systems can model, simulate, and
represent the other.  But, as long as you don't have real glutamate, and
you have something that is just being interpreted, as if it was the real
thing, unless you know how to qualitatively interpret what it
represents, it is zombie glutamate.

Let me know what, if any of the above, does, or does not help.

Brent Allsop