[ExI] The Robot Big Bang

Carsten Zander Carsten.Zander at t-online.de
Sun Feb 22 19:46:18 UTC 2015

On 22 February 2015 at 3:57 pm, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> You are missing my point. What is seen as a problem often depends on
> one's political outlook. And whether a problem is acknowledged may
> depend on whether the solutions are acceptable or not.
>
> In the US poverty and incarceration are not seen as major problems by
> a large fraction of people. One strong reason IMHO is that many
> suggested solutions - redistribution, unified healthcare systems, a
> non-retributive penal system - are unacceptable to them for
> ideological reasons. Yes, this is totally backwards. In a sane world
> people would identify problems first, then look for solutions, and
> then agree on the acceptable ones. But in practice people turn things
> around. Which is why so many of your politicians are convinced there
> cannot be anthopogenic climate change - the proposed solutions smell
> bad ideologically.
>
> http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2014/06/do_we_have_to_be_good_to_set_things_right.html
>
> So if you want to sell politicians on the idea that the robots are
> coming, do not link it too strongly to a particular socioeconomic remedy.
>
> Otherwise, I foresee a real risk that we will end up with the US
> liberals embracing the robot big bang as a reason to have guaranteed
> basic income, and hence the US conservatives systematically blocking
> any research into AI consequences as a result. The end result might be
> no income and no safety at all.

It's a dilemma.
Convincing the people of a basic income is a very slow process.
I'm afraid the Robot Big Bang will be faster.

What would happen if the Robot Big Bang occurs and there is no basic income?

I think telling the truth to the people would be the best way:
"The robots are coming. All people will need a basic income"

This give us a little hope:
"Why the Tech Elite Is Getting Behind Universal Basic Income"
http://www.vice.com/read/something-for-everyone-0000546-v22n1

Carsten