[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 136, Issue 15

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Tue Jan 20 15:59:02 UTC 2015

On 1/20/15 4:00 AM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
> Most ISPs and big services (google, yahoo, etc.) scan your email for
> keywords and sell advertising based on keywords.  So indexes, summaries, and
> keywords from your emails are distributed to companies and governments who
> request these.  And since much of the advertising is outsourced overseas,
> these keywords will be spread across the world to countries you never
> dreamed would see your email.  Even if you send email to someone on the same
> email server as you.

When Google (and presumably others) sell advertising based on keywords
in your email, no third-party advertiser gets to see your message.
Google has collected bids from many third parties, and runs an internal
auction in which they have all the information, and they make the
decision about who won and which ad to run.

The advertisers get to see statistics about how many times their ads
were run, and how often each of their campaigns were winners.

Chris (back after a long absence from the list)
--
Currently reading: Beggars and Choosers, Nancy Kress; Our Mathematical
     Universe, Max Tegmark; Superintelligence, Nick Bostrom; Seeing

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com