[ExI] powers of ten

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:42:09 UTC 2015

On 27 January 2015 at 02:04, John Clark wrote:
> Yes it's very very big, but one thing we can say with virtual certainty is
> that not only is there no intelligent life anywhere in that picture there is
> no life of any sort in it. The picture was of things as they were less than
> a billion years after the Big Bang so there was very little time for
> Evolution to do it's work. Even worse there was no time for stars to cook up
> the heavier elements that life needs like carbon nitrogen and oxygen. When
> you look at the Hubble ultra-deep field you're looking at hydrogen and
> helium and trace amounts of lithium and beryllium. And you just can't do
> much interesting chemistry with nothing but that.

News just in......

Oldest Planetary System Discovered, Improving the Chances for
Intelligent Life Everywhere
by Nancy Atkinson on January 27, 2015

<http://www.universetoday.com/118510/oldest-planetary-system-discovered-improving-the-chances-for-intelligent-life-everywhere/>
Quotes:
Using data from the Kepler space telescope, an international group of
astronomers has discovered the oldest known planetary system in the
galaxy - an 11 billion-year-old system of five rocky planets that are
all smaller than Earth. The team says this discovery suggests that
Earth-size planets have formed throughout most of the Universe's
13.8-billion-year history, increasing the possibility for the
existence of ancient life - and potentially advanced intelligent life
-- in our galaxy.

"The fact that rocky planets were already forming in the galaxy 11
billion years ago suggests that habitable Earth-like planets have
probably been around for a very long time, much longer than the age of
our Solar System," said Dr. Travis Metcalfe.