[ExI] taxonomy for fermi paradox fans:

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 18:19:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >>   Some catastrophe hits a civilization when it gets a little past
>> our level; my best guess would be the electronic equivalent of drug abuse.
>

> > Possible.  But it seems an unlikely filter to get all
> possible variations on a nervous system if ET's with the capacity to affect
> the visible state of the universe are common.  I suspect you need something
> fundamental that keeps every single one of them from spreading out.

But that's exactly my fear, it may be fundamental. If they can change
anything in the universe then they can change the very thing that makes the
changes, themselves. There may be something about intelligence and positive
feedback loops (like having full control of your emotional control panel)
that always leads to stagnation. After all, regardless of how well our life
is going who among us would for eternity opt out of becoming just a little
bit happier if all it took was turning a knob? And after you turn it a
little bit and see how much better you feel why not turn it again, perhaps
a little more this time.

The above may be pure nonsense, I sure hope so.

  John K Clark