[ExI] education reform, was: RE: Why we are teaching science wrong, and how to make it right

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 00:09:25 UTC 2015

Education: I am seeing how much difficulty the public schools are having in
embracing the concept of advanced online learning tools.  A perfect example
of this is Khan Academy: terrific resource, so well done, open ended, lots
of material, measures and stores student metrics indefinitely, and it’s
free.  The public schools don’t really know what to do with it.  Fun
examples available on request.  SPIKE

I am reminded of the time my dept. chairman asked me if I wanted to buy a
complete set of videos on statistics.  I told him that I could see the
value of that if I were ill and missed a lot of classes, but otherwise, I'd
like to teach the course myself.  I suspect every teacher wants little or
no help from outside.

And then there is the problem of the slow and fast students.  If the system
cannot afford to divide them into different classes, then they will suffer
neglect.

With so much online I think it is inevitable that those resources will be
incorporated into classroom teaching.  I would have loved to have a way to
have Ss who wanted to know more have links to web sites that will satisfy
their curiosity.  And those to whom the content in class is something they
already know, well, just let them study something else.

Less testing?  Not around here.  More, if anything.  Repub legislature
hates tenure and would love to have reasons to dismiss teachers and
superintendents.  Already under way.

bill w