[ExI] Brain Implants Could Make the Death Penalty Obsolete

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:39:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2015 3:40 AM, "BillK" <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is upsetting people is 'mission creep'. You start by putting
> > implants in murderers only, then violent criminals, then terrorists,
> > then ---- why not just put implants in everybody?  The TSA, NSA, etc
> > are already checking and monitoring everyone as possible suspects.
>
> Agreed.  There might be more support if those deciding who to implant
> would themselves accept implants aimed at reducing their willingness to
> abuse...but of course this would be unacceptable to them.  (Except maybe
> for the few who genuinely are motivated by pure public interest.)

​You can control any sort of behavior you want to if everyone is
implanted.  But then you have a police state - too powerful, and
antithetical to every libertarian, left or right.  We are already pretty
close to what R Heinlein said to leave:  a country that demands that
everyone carry an ID​

​.  We could move much closer to that if we abolished cash, which is kind
of happening now and has been for some time.  bill w