[ExI] i'll bee seeing you... was: RE: old software fun

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:41:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/developercloud/visual-recognition.html
>
> https://cloud.google.com/prediction/docs/getting-started
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/machine-learning/
>
> I'm not suggesting any of these are ready solutions,  but the race to zero
> puts very sophisticated tools in your hands for only the cost of overcoming
> their learning curve.
>
> Instead of tuning your hardware to the exact pitch of bee-wing flapping with
> requisite parametric for temperature and humidity and distances from the
> hive and ... and ...  you could have identified sufficient training data via
> an enthusiastic afternoon of manual images then let deep learning and big
> data do the rest.  You guys talk about how you figured this out 15 years
> ago;  it's not the future anymore.  We have this stuff just lying around
> waiting for clever folks to do something interesting with it. .. or are you
> emulating the Old Ones waiting for it to be even easier as we get closer to
> the end of time?  ;)

I was inspired by Spike's style of call-to-action by some part
inviting and some part cajoling, but I don't think I make that work.
:)

A few minutes after sending that email though, this popped up in my
Facebook feed:

http://product.serialmetrics.com/orion/
"Machine Learning problems that used to require a team of 5 Data
Scientists, 3 months of development, and over a $100,000 in labor
costs can now be solved in 5 minutes by a non-technical person."

Synchronicity can be so entertaining.