[ExI] Panbiogenesis news

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Mar 6 23:00:31 UTC 2015

Quoting John Clark:

> From: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> Sent: Friday,
> March 6, 2015 9:20 AM
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Panbiogenesis news
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:
>

>> About ten years ago, I discussed on this list the possibility that
>> life started *everywhere* in the universe in the epoch following
>> the big bang. My reasoning was that shortly after the big bang, the
>> universe was too hot and dense for life
>

> OK.
>> while now the universe is too cold and diffuse for life.
>

> We're alive now, so how do you figure that? And the universe is
> young enough that new stars are still being made, maybe not quite as
> vigorously as they were 10 billion years ago but they are still
> being made.

I didn't mean that life couldn't exist *anywhere* in the modern
universe, just that now it can only exist in relatively scarce oases
like the earth. My point was once upon a time life could have existed
everywhere even in the interstellar medium. I believe that it was once
the rule rather than the exception but then most of it died.

What point are you trying to make with your observation that stars are
still being formed?

Stuart LaForge