[ExI] FW: [tt] Identity thread again

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 13 14:47:19 UTC 2015

This was cross-posted from tt.

My comments all the way at the bottom.

spike

-----Original Message-----
From: tt-bounces at postbiota.org [mailto:tt-bounces at postbiota.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Gubrud
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 7:39 AM
To: Transhuman Tech
Subject: Re: [tt] [ExI] Identity thread again

"I see my identity as...." is the most telling phrase in this little essay
and, indeed, the entire discussion.

"My identity," and indeed, identity in general, is a fictitious property
ascribed by a "subject" to its "objects" as it regards the actual universe.
"Objects" are just a useful way of organizing the world, one which reflects
many survival-important, functional features of the world. Tigers, berries,
and sticks and stones are "objects," so are other people, so is one's self.
[The greatest confusion arises, of course, when the "object" is the
"subject" itself; this is exactly what gives rise to the (illusory) "hard
problem of consciousness."]

One can articulate (obvious) reasons why it is useful to organize the world
this way. But the physical boundaries of our "objects" are fuzzy and
mutable. The question of identity is just the mind's question, "Is this the
same object I saw before?" One can lay out criteria for a definite answer to
that question, and such criteria are not entirely arbitrary. But there are
often cases where criteria that seemed to resolve the question unambiguously
in most or all situations up to now, fail to resolve it in some new
situations. The fundamental reason for this is that our ascription of
"identity" to "objects" is just an aspect of how we think.

So, you are entitled to define or redefine "my identity" any way you like;
what I won't accept is any argument that your concept of "identity" is the
true and correct one, and that you can use this putative "fact" to justify
the otherwise unjustifiable - such as, for example, the "replacement" or
"transformation" of nature, human flesh, human beings, and even all
humanity, by or into technology and its products, on an argument that
"identity" is somehow preserved.

Mark

Feel free to post and repost, e.g. to ExI.
-----------------------------
Mark Avrum Gubrud
gubrud at gmail.com
+1  (240) 602-1841
twitter: @mgubrud
blog: gubrud.net

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 23:17:07 -0500
> From: Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
> Subject: [tt] [ExI] Identity thread again
> Cc: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> <CAAc1gFhRbtKFEO5waDJq+HY_E5f4A_rt8DetYEJgCKdZo3uXGQ at mail.gmail.com>
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If we're discussing identity and consciousness,  I would like to be
>> sure all of the important bits are working properly.  :)
>>
> ### To resurrect the identity thread: As I have argued here before, I
> see my identity as the sum of privileged indexical information that
> separates me from other beings. By privileged I mean information that
> I am emotionally attached to, not confidential as in the usual meaning
> of the term.
>
> There is a lot of information in my mind that I don't really care
> about - all kinds of impersonal data, bits and pieces of generic
> experiences, chemical formulas and tax information. These are not a
> part of me, they are merely a baggage I carry around, or useful tools
> be used in dealing with the non-self. I would not be any less me if
> all this was lost and replaced by off-the-shelf apps. And then there
> is the privileged, true self - a set of memories, and desires that I
> self-referentially designate as self. Never mind what particular
> details are included here - suffice to say, a being that does not possess
these moving parts would not be me.