[ExI] Neat

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Mar 20 10:25:22 UTC 2015

Today I woke up to another grey morning... grey because the moon was hiding the sun. (OK, some British clouds were involved too):

https://flic.kr/p/rqqtpg

And I realized the universe felt *neat*. The moon and sun perfectly lined up with Earth. Which is also at equinox: the plane spanned by our rotational angular momentum vector and our velocity vector is at right angles to the sun-Earth radius. And the moon is nearly at perigee.

Not everything is perfectly lined up, and of course these configurations recur. But it is a cool place to live. I think I will clean my room today as a homage to the celestial neatness.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University