[ExI] didn't know he was at the party... was: RE: Wrath of the Old Ones

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat May 2 08:10:38 UTC 2015

Spike, you brought (tender-yet-steely) tears to my ideas with that.

Party on! (And on and on and on)

--Max

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *>…* *On Behalf Of *Rafal Smigrodzki
> *…*
>
> >…BTW, I just bought the complete works of HP Lovecraft, for mere $ 0.99.
> Hail Amazon!  Rafał
>

> Rafal, your comment reminded me of an incident which has nothing to do
> with HP Lovecraft, but is relevant.
>

> A few years ago my brother organized a high school 30th reunion and
> someone suggested a special celebration for the band geeks over at a local
> park.  Some of the locals brought in Subway sandwiches, chips and sodas and
> such.  We had a grand time, and afterwards I made arrangements to do
> realtime text chat for those band members who couldn’t make the reunion.
> One of the band members who was a known party animal showed up and we got
> to discussing matters.  I said something about the band party, he
> commented, Oh, I am sorry I missed that.  I wrote back, Jeff… you were
> there; I have plenty of pictures.  He wrote: Wow, I must have really been
> drinking (etc.)  I wrote, No, we had it in the morning, you were sober and
> a Methodist deacon.  Everyone stopped writing for several minutes, a
> text-based embarrassed silence.  Then he said: Oooooh, OK, is that what
> that was?  You said party, I had envisioned something else entirely.  I
> went to several parties that day…
>

> There is a point to this story.  Our fellow band member was at the party
> and didn’t even know it.  He didn’t recognize that gathering as a party.
>

> Our world today is a riotous epic party, so many cool things going on.  If
> one is a science, engineering, technology or math geek, you don’t need to
> tell her she is at the greatest party in history; she knows.  This is such
> a time to be into astronomy; all the cool new instruments giving us new
> cosmic discoveries like crazy, the digital technology coming along getting
> better and better and better without end, the computers, the mathematical
> discoveries coming all the time, genomics, the new learning and teaching
> tools, the avalanche of material available cheap or free online such as
> Amazon’s e-books and such…
>

> It is too numerous to even list it all.  Far too many people in our world
> today are at the party but do not recognize it as a party.  I consider us
> the lucky ones, for we are right in the middle of the party, and we know
> where we are.
>

> spike

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
http://www.amazon.com/Transhumanist-Reader-Contemporary-Technology-Philosophy/dp/1118334310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372225570&sr=1-1&keywords=the+transhumanist+reader
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation